As with any job, there is a right way to take care of your equipment, and then there is every other way. At LH Travis, we do things the right way! When it comes to the fluid handling equipment in your work machinery, there is a simple way to make sure you are adding lubricant properly. Just remember the 5 R’s of lubrication.
What Are the 5 R’s of Lubrication?
To ensure that your automatic lubrication system is going to function properly, LH Travis recommends keeping the 5 R’s of lubrication in mind: use the Right lubricant in the Right volume at the Right time, in the Right place, by the Right method.
- Right lubricant. Make sure you are using the correct lubricant. Check the OEM equipment manual for the machine you are working with to find the appropriate lubricant. You can also call the experts here at LH Travis for a recommendation.
- Right volume. Using too much or too little lubricant can result in serious equipment damage, so be sure to verify the recommended amount to use before you get started.
- Right time. Knowing when to lubricate the equipment is integral to correct application. Your machinery can last longer if you apply small amounts as necessary.
- Right place. Familiarize yourself with your equipment’s greasing system to make sure you understand where exactly the lubricant is supposed to go. It’s important to make sure those points are being lubricated regularly.
- Right method. Don’t just wing it; follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for how to apply the lubrication. For example, Alemite lubrication equipment might not benefit from the same techniques as a Graco lubrication system you may be more familiar with. Make sure you know what you’re doing before you start.
If You Have Questions, We Have Answers!
If you are uncertain as to how to properly lubricate your equipment or what kind will optimize your workflow, we’re here to help you out. Don’t hesitate to give us a call with any questions you may have.